Love Life: Interracial couples still face discrimination
Bridge Staff Writer Cinthia Sierra and boyfriend, Bridge Staff Photographer Chris Beard vacationing on a Carribean cruise in Nov. 2007. Courtesy photo/Cinthia Sierra
"How are you going to walk with a little black baby?...How will you deal with other peoples' looks?" an acquaintance asked during the first month of my relationship with an African-American.It is shocking that even though interracial marriages have increased dramatically over the last 40 years, this mentality still exists.According to a census taken in 2005, marriages between whites and African-Americans rose from 65,000 in 1970 to 422,000 in 2005.The Associated Press reported that most support for interracial marriage comes from younger people.Brenda Briones, a Psychology major, explained, "Many of us are possibly first-generation college students and have the opportunity to receive an education and be open-minded; our parents, however, do not all have an education and are strong believers of sticking to our own race.""I personally have no problem and really enjoy being in a more diverse environment," said Briones."You get the best of both worlds," added Gladys Benavides, an Education major. "Having two different cultures, traditions, [possibly] languages, and food are all benefits."Other university students have mixed feelings about interracial dating."I do believe it depends on which two races mix," said Danny Garcia, a Nursing major. "Some interracial couples can be [perceived as] weird."In order to avoid harassment, many biracial children have had to be home-schooled, and their parents also confront mistreatment; together, interracial couples and their children face a daily struggle.Consequently, research shows that interracial marriages are more likely to fail. Over a span of 10 years, there is a 41 percent chance an interracial couple will separate compared to a 31 percent chance between two people of the same race.I can honestly say I have faced obstacles even after being with my boyfriend for three years.It's remarkable how even in the 21st century, when an African-American-the product of an interracial marriage-is on the verge of becoming president, people still make racist remarks about my interracial relationship.After taking a couple of days off at my summer job, my previous supervisor said, "How was your vacation with your nigger of a boyfriend?"Of course, I felt offended; I wanted to, first of all, hit him, but I also wanted to spit out every moment of happiness I had experienced with my boyfriend, or for him to feel the tingling sensation that runs through my body every time I see my boyfriend.But something stopped me. I had no reason to explain my feelings to someone whose main concern was that the color of my skin did not match that of whom I am dating. To say that I have not encountered any form of racism or different treatment would be a lie; however, I have come to ignore those who give shocked looks, speak rudely, or don't speak at all.Although America's views on interracial marriages have come a long way, I don't believe we have fully accepted racial equality.NEXT ISSUE: SAME-SEX RELATIONSHIPS
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Bridge News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE BRIDGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE BRIDGE NEWS
- TAMIU Professor Sheds Light on The Transnational Worker and Their Struggle...
- Historical Debate Held in Rio Grande Valley; Davis and Abbott Go Head to Head...
- One on One with Dr. Ananda
- TAMIU Sheds Light on the Relevancy of the Constitution
- Californian Makes TAMIU Her New Home
- AutMus Fest set for 10th anniversary celebration
- The End of Summer Brings New Beginnings
RECENT THE BRIDGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”